A political group under the auspices of Atiku/Obi Vanguard for Good Governance has said it will deliver 12 million votes for the duo in the 2019 presidential polls.
The director general of the movement, Tunji Iyanda, gave the promise at an interactive session to formally unveil the group in Lagos and also to solicit the support for the candidates.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the group said they would mobilise the votes from across the country’s geo-political zones.
Newsnow gathers that Iyanda said that the group, present and functional in the 36 states, FCT and all the 774 local government areas of Nigeria, had commenced grassroots mobilisation of artisans, market women and professionals to ensure Atiku’s victory, irrespective of ethno-religious divides.
According to him, a vote for Atiku/Obi is a vote for security, rapid economic development, youth empowerment, unity, rule of law as well as “to make Nigeria work again”.
Stressing the theme , “ #getnigeriaworking again”, the group said the time has come to unleash Nigeria hidden potential for excellence.
He said: “We shall be involved in the aggressive media sensitisation of Nigerians as to the distinct attributes of these gentlemen.
“The group is made up of foot soldiers of active mobilisers, canvassers who will target various groups at the micro levels to ensure to the delivery of additional two (2) million votes from each of the six (6) regions of this country.
“We shall actively educate voters in all the 774 LGAs , 8,809 wards and in the almost 120,000 polling units. We stand for the Nigeria of merit. Nigeria of mutual respect and love, the Nigeria of common goal to serve the fatherland to the best of our ability. That is what we stand for.”
According to him, the group is committed to the economic independence of Nigeria and to the restoration of stability and security, and to the unity of the people.
He said the organisation is a political vehicle designed to create a new Nigeria through peaceful, constructive and active collaboration with PDP in the forthcoming 2019 general elections.
Iyanda urged the Independent National Electoral Commission to ensure strict adherence to all electoral laws and play its constitutional role with diligence and fairness.
The director general urged President Muhammadu Buhari to sign the amended Electoral Act passed by the National Assembly to further promote the democratic process in the country.
He called for a change of the inspector general of police, Ibrahim Idris and the chairman of INEC, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, to enhance credible polls.
Below is the full statement.
INAUGURAL NATIONAL PRESS BRIEFING OF THE
AtikuObi Vanguard For Good Governance – GETTING NIGERIA WORKING AGAIN.
1. I warmly welcome representives of the Nigerian media to this inaugural press interactive session by the
AtikuObi Vanguard For Good Governance. This interactive session is to formally unveil this group and also to solicit the support of the media on this journey of Getting Nigeria Working Again. We are professionals, businessmen, technocrats whose interest is to change the narrative of Nigeria’s politics.
2. Our Vision is : To be a strong support group for the qualitative AtikuObi joint ticket for assured victory at the 2019 elections irrespective of ethno- religious divides.
3) The AtikuObi Vanguard For Good Governance was founded in 2018 to protect and entrench good governance via purposeful democratic means and processes in order to guarantee better life for the people of Nigeria. We stand for the Nigeria of merit against mediocrity, Nigeria of mutual respect and love against ethnic bigotry, the Nigeria of common goal to serve the Father land to the best of our ability is what we stand for. We are determined to continue to serve the people, to stand strong with them against oppression, and to continue to propagate the values of our candidates in the face of suppression without fear nor abuses and or slander. We are committed to the Economic Independence of Nigeria and to the restoration of stability and security and to the unity of all our people.
4) The AtikuObi Vanguard For Good Governance is a political vehicle designed to create a NEW NIGERIA through peaceful, constructive and active collaboration with the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY (PDP) in the forthcoming February, 2019 general elections.Our emphasis is on the Presidential Elections under the joint ticket of His Excellency Atiku Abubakar, GCON and His Excellency Peter Obi, CON.
5)We shall be involved in the aggressive media sensitisation of Nigerians as to the distinct attributes of these gentlemen. As part of vehicles to take the Message of getting Nigeria to working again to the nook and crannies of the country as we are presently established in the 36 states of Nigeria and the FCT.
6) The group is made up of foot soldiers of:
Active Mobilisers, Canvassers who will target various groups at the micro levels to ensure to the delivery of additional two(2) million votes from each of the six(6) regions of this country. We shall actively educate voters in all the 774 LGAs , 8,809 wards and in the almost 120,000 polling units.
7))We cannot but agree with the Director General of the Presidential campaign council, His Excellency, Dr. Bukola Saraki that, the issues confronting Nigerians today are beyond partisan consideration.
8) This group is present and functional in the 36 states, FCT and all the 774 Local government Areas of Nigeria.
9) As part of the foot soldiers of His Excellency Atiku Abubakar GCON, and His Excellency Peter Obi CON, we shall be involved in the grassroots campaign, we will participate in road shows, Town Hall meetings, special interactive sessions with traditional institutions, business communities, professional groups, trade unions, market women and men and other interest groups and stakeholders across the nation and in the diaspora.
10) The Issue for the Elections :
For Nigerians, in 2019, the issues that have to be addressed as already articulated by His Excellency are :
a) Is the economy better or worse?
b) Are more people richer or poorer than they were in 2015?
c) Are there more people suffering from hunger now than in 2015?
d) Have there been more job losses now than in 2015?
e) Are our people safer now than they were in 2015?
f) Are our military and other security agencies better equipped or motivated to tackle the Boko Haram insurgency and other security challenges than in 2015?
g) Is the country more united now than it was in 2015?
h) Is the infrastructure in the country better than it was in 2015?
I) Is there less corruption in the country than in 2015?; Is the fight against corruption been fair to all or a tool deployed against political opponents?
j) Are people deriving the benefits of the Rule of Law and personal liberty as enshrined in the constitution now than in 2015?
11) These are some of the issues that will determine the trend of the campaign and we believe they should guide Nigerians in making their decisions during the 2019 elections. This election is a referendum on the incumbent. If Nigerians are unable to answer any of these questions positively, they must vote out the incumbent.
12) In 2015, many of us did not ask the pertinent questions and the nation is paying dearly for this today. We should not repeat the same error in 2019. This is our reason for leaving our comfort zone to be active participants in this Election.
13) As our Principals have stated, we will restrict ourselves to issue-based campaigns.
14) We call on the Independent National Electoral Commission National Chairman, Prof. Yakubu Mahmood and all INEC’s operatives to ensure strict adherence to all Electoral laws and play their constitutional role with diligence and shun all forms of corruption. Nigerians are tired of inconclusive and disputed Election results. This call becomes necessary as there are doubts in results of recent Elections even from International observers!
15) We invite you to be our partners in this onerous task ahead of all of us.
16) Thank you. God bless Nigeria.
AtikuObi Vanguard for Good Governance.