Adeleke drags IGP to court over arrest, detention

Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)in Osun State in the last governorship election held in September last year, Senator Ademola Adeleke has dragged the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to court over his arrest and detention in Abuja on May 6, 2019.

Adeleke had approached the Osun State High Court, Ikirun seeking for his fundamental rights to personal liberty and right to freedom of movement and the court presided over by Justice Jide Falola ordered the police not to arrest or detain the senator pending the determination of the substantive case filed before it.

Justice Falola had based his own ruling an earlier court ruling by Justice I.E Ekwor of the Federal High Court, Abuja who had granted Adeleke leave to travel out of Nigeria to the United States of America between 7th May, 2019 and 9th June 2019for medical attention.

According to Justice Falola who noted that the ruling of the Federal High Court has incapacitated the respondents from arresting or detaining the applicant added, “A calm sober and judicial wisdom dictates that I allow the Order made by my brother, Ekwor J. of the Federal High Court Abuja in Charge No, FHC/ABJ/CR/156/2018 on Friday 3rd May 2019 to continue to operate.

But on May 6th when the Osun High Court order was made, Adeleke was arrested, detained and arraigned on issues bordering on his WAEC certificate and Testimonial issued by Muslim Grammar School, Ede.

In a five count offence, adeleke was accused of presenting fake documents to contest the 2017 senatorial election which he won by defeating the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Senator Mudashiru Hussein.

In the fresh suit, Adeleke who dragged the IGP, the Assistant Inspector of Police (AIG), Zone 11, Simon Lough, an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) and John Faluyi, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) urged to court to further impress it on the respondents of the order made on the matter.

The applicant lawyer, Barrister Kanmi Ajibola expressed dissatisfaction over the attitudes of the Nigeria Police, saying despite the fact that the respondents were duly served the court order, they still went ahead to arrest and detain the senator.

In his ruling on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, Justice Falola issued form 48 against the police, asking them to take notice of consequence of disobedience of court order, warning them that they would be guilty of contempt of court “and will be liable to be committed to prison”.

Meanwhile, in a 31 paragraph affidavit before the State High court and which was sworn to by the Principal of Muslim High School, Ede, Mr. Kalidi Adejare Abass  he gave vivid account of the several incidents on the matter including his arrest and the “perpetual physical and psychological torture he was subjected to.

He further claimed that on several occasions, he had been asked to “write a statement implicating the person of Senator Ademola Adeleke but I have refused to cooperate with the police on this”.

The case was again adjourned to June Monday, June 17th, 2019.

13 thoughts on “Adeleke drags IGP to court over arrest, detention

• March 14, 2021 at 1:40 am

517249 674260Outstanding post, I think individuals ought to learn a great deal from this internet internet site its rattling user genial . 101219

• March 17, 2021 at 4:47 am

583733 389108a lot lately with my father so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! mortgage banker new york 761090

• April 28, 2021 at 4:07 am

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto
    a co-worker who had been doing a little homework on this.
    And he actually bought me dinner simply because I stumbled
    upon it for him… lol. So let me reword this….
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending some time
    to talk about this issue here on your blog.

• April 29, 2021 at 1:28 am

Hey this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so
    I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any
    help would be enormously appreciated!

• April 29, 2021 at 3:53 am

I will immediately grasp your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Please permit me recognise so that I may subscribe.
    Thanks.

• April 29, 2021 at 4:17 pm

I loved as much as you will receive carried out
    right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over
    that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably
    come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

• May 4, 2021 at 3:00 am

I think what you said was actually very reasonable. However, what about this?
    what if you added a little content? I am not saying your content is not good, however what if
    you added something to maybe get folk’s attention? I mean Adeleke drags IGP to court over arrest, detention – Newsnowonline is a little plain. You ought to peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they write article headlines to
    get people to click. You might add a video or a
    related pic or two to get readers excited about everything’ve
    got to say. In my opinion, it would make your posts a
    little bit more interesting.

• May 4, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time making a
    decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
    Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different
    then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely
    unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

• May 7, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with
    Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to
    get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not
    seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share.

Thank you!

• May 8, 2021 at 12:05 am

This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent
    job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

• May 9, 2021 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.
    I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back
    in the future. I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!