Forging an Era of Collaboration Between Nigeria and South Africa

With a South African mother and Nigerian father, I am in the fortunate position of being exposed to the best of both countries and cultures. As such, I can clearly envision the benefits of the two nations coming together and working towards shared common goals. South Africa and Nigeria each have rich cultures and a wealth of human talent, skills and resources in their own right. And both can only grow stronger and progress at a faster rate should these diverse nations join together to work towards mutual goals. The aim should be to leverage off each other’s strengths to benefit the African continent as a whole, instead of being threatened or being unduly critical of each other.

Time For A New Era Of Collaboration & Integration

The time has come to shed the straight-jackets of the past that are restricting forward-focused movement and collaboration of these two influential African countries. It’s long overdue for a major and widespread change of perspective – where Nigeria and South Africa view each other as African partners within the global community.

This is not merely an aspirational view, but something that can start happening quite quickly and tangibly once both countries are open to driving a new era of collaboration and integration. This will kick off efforts to understanding the different cultural values, skills, assets, economic value and other positive elements by both countries.

Some of the ways that these objectives can be practically achieved include the following:▪ Utilise the existing Binational Commission (comprising members from different age groups, genders, social and cultural backgrounds, regions and viewpoints) to its full potential▪ Leverage off the strength of African diaspora for knowledge and understanding of the local environments in both Nigeria and South Africa ▪ Build a framework for exchange of key messaging and success stories between the two countries showcasing positive aspects and achievements ▪ Organise inter-cultural exchange programmes, binational roadshows and events that include showcasing the music, food, talent, traditions and cultures of both countries▪ Establish journalist academies in both Nigeria and South Africa that facilitate skills and knowledge exchanges. For example, by taking a group of journalists from South Africa to Nigeria (and vice versa), and exposing them to business, public and lifestyle sectors▪ Don’t discriminate on grounds of nationality – make full use of skilled migrant labour. Company policies may have to be reviewed to be more inclusive▪ From a government perspective, improve the visa application processes and speed up work permit approvals▪ Both countries should leverage off each other’s strengths in terms of professional skills, infrastructure, expertise in different sectors and natural resources.▪ Innovation hubs should be set up (e.g. Nigeria’s Computer Village) and part or all proceeds should be invested in youth and knowledge development initiatives (such asdigital skills upliftment projects by Mark Zuckerberg and Google in Nigeria)▪ Co-ordinate roadshows spotlighting the historic links between Nigeria and South Africa. This will enlighten the inhabitants of each country on the roles played by the other country in shaping their landscape (e.g. highlighting the financial and political support provided by Nigeria to South Africa in the fight against apartheid)▪ Private sector collaboration (e.g. combining South Africa’s great business infrastructure and Nigeria’s skills optimally for maximum effect).

While there may be many challenges to overcome, with a united view and joint concerted effort by both countries, this vision is certainly attainable. It comes down to changing perceptions now and starting this progressive journey as soon as possible. The vast opportunities that exist in such a partnership await. And I, for one, simply cannot wait to see what’s in store for Africa in the near future.

Nonye Mpho Omotola is the Managing Director of Africa Communications Media Group headquartered in Johannesburg. She sits on the Brand Africa counsel and is a respected advocate for economic growth, through innovation, technology and education in Africa.

13 thoughts on “Forging an Era of Collaboration Between Nigeria and South Africa

• April 7, 2021 at 7:04 am

858673 749628You must participate in a contest for among the top blogs on the internet. I will suggest this site! 46603

• April 13, 2021 at 3:27 pm

wonderful issues altogether, you just won a brand new reader.
    What may you recommend about your post that you simply made a few
    days in the past? Any positive? 0mniartist asmr

• April 13, 2021 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for finally talking about > Forging an Era of Collaboration Between Nigeria and South Africa – Newsnowonline < Liked it! 0mniartist asmr

• April 27, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and all. But
    imagine if you added some great images or videos to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this
    blog could undeniably be one of the very best in its field.
    Awesome blog!

• April 29, 2021 at 7:10 am

You need to take part in a contest for one of the finest sites on the internet.

I’m going to recommend this blog!

• April 29, 2021 at 7:15 am

What’s up to every single one, it’s in fact a pleasant
    for me to visit this web page, it consists of helpful Information.

• April 29, 2021 at 12:17 pm

It’s amazing to pay a quick visit this site and reading
    the views of all colleagues on the topic of this post, while I
    am also zealous of getting know-how.

• May 4, 2021 at 3:00 am

Hey superb blog! Does running a blog like
    this take a large amount of work? I’ve very little understanding of programming but I had been hoping to start
    my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog
    owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I
    simply had to ask. Cheers!

• May 4, 2021 at 5:34 am

Hey! I know this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does managing a well-established website such as yours require a
    massive amount work? I’m completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary everyday.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience
    and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!

• May 7, 2021 at 1:55 pm

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found
    It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to contribute
    & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.

• May 8, 2021 at 12:09 am

Definitely believe that that you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the web the easiest thing to bear in mind of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while other folks think about worries that they plainly do not understand about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the entire thing without having side-effects , other folks
    could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

• May 9, 2021 at 9:34 am

Hey there! I’ve been reading your website for a long time now and
    finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up the excellent work!