FG Launches Campaign To Repatriate Looted/Smuggled Artifacts

The Federal Government has launched the Campaign For The Return and

Restitution of Nigeria’s Looted and Smuggled Artifacts from around the

world.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, launched the campaign at a press conference in Lagos on Thursday.

“With this announcement, we are putting on notice all those who are holding on to Nigeria’s cultural property anywhere in the world that we are coming for them, using all legal and diplomatic instruments available. Gentlemen, we are under no illusion that this will be an easy task, but no one should also doubt our determination to make a success of this campaign,” he said.

Alhaji Mohammed said Nigeria cannot imagine by what logic an Ife Bronze or a Benin Bronze or a Nok Terracotta can belong to any other part of the globe except to the people of Nigeria, whose ancestors made them.

“We have never laid claim to the Mona Lisa or a Rembrandt. Those who

looted our heritage resources, especially during the 19th century wars, or those who smuggled them out of the country for pecuniary reasons, have simply encouraged the impoverishment of our heritage and stealing of our past,” he said..

The Minister said these timeless and priceless pieces of work are an

important part of the nation’s past, its history, and heritage resource, and that allowing them to sit in the museums of other nations robs Nigeria of our history.

He said in its quest to diversify the economy by leveraging on the culture and tourism sector, the government considers these priceless artifacts as critical components of the diversification drive.

Alhaji Mohammed said in launching the campaign, Nigeria is emboldened

by Article 4 of the UNESCO 1970 Convention, to which most nations subscribe, which identifies the categories of cultural property that form part of the cultural heritage of each member state, thereby belonging to that State.

He said by the provisions of the Article, they include cultural property created by the individual or collective genius of nationals of the State concerned, and cultural property which has been the

subject of a freely agreed exchange or received as a gift or purchased legally with the consent of the competent authorities of the country of origin of such property.

The Minister also said the Heads of State and Government of the ECOWAS

Region met in December 2018 in Abuja and adopted a Political Declaration on the return of cultural property to their countries of origin, adding: ”We are bound by this Declaration, which has further

brought discussions towards a Plan of Action.”

He called on every museum and person holding on to the nation’s heritage resources anywhere in the world to initiate dialogue with the federal government, saying: ”We urge them to identify what is in their collections, transparently make them public, approach us for discussion on terms of return and restitution, as well as circulation and loans. They must acknowledge that ownership resides in us. They must be ready to sign agreements and Memoranda of Understanding in this regard, and they must be ready to release some of these antiquities for immediate return to Nigeria.”

He said the government will kick-start the campaign with a quest to retrieve the Ife Broze Head, which was one of the items stolen in 1987 when one of the country’s national museums was broken into.

”After it was brought to an auction in London two years ago, the auction house observed that it was an Ife Bronze Head which belongs to the ICOM (International Council of Museums) Red List of cultural goods that are deemed to be the most vulnerable to illicit traffic.

”Now, the London Metropolitan police has seized the object, and it has invited Nigeria to make a claim, otherwise they will have to return it to the fellow claiming ownership. We have now started work on the return of the Ife Bronze head to Nigeria.,” the Minister said.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has expressed delight at the decision of the Cambridge University’s Jesus College to repatriate a Benin Bronze Cockerel, known as ”okukor”, to Nigeria.

”Considering the hundreds of Benin Bronzes looted during that occupation, the decision to return the cockerel is like a drop in the ocean, but it is an important drop and we welcome it,” the Minister said.

46 thoughts on “FG Launches Campaign To Repatriate Looted/Smuggled Artifacts

• February 16, 2021 at 6:21 pm

It抯 really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

• April 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm

20250 127557Intending start up a enterprise around the web involves revealing marketing plus items not only to women locally, however somehow to several buyers who are web-based as a rule. e-learning 211322

• April 13, 2021 at 7:04 am

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article plus the rest of the website is extremely good.
    0mniartist asmr

• April 28, 2021 at 5:29 am

I was able to find good information from your blog posts.

• April 29, 2021 at 4:23 am

970460 200007I adore gathering useful info, this post has got me even a lot more info! . 18019

• April 29, 2021 at 9:31 am

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?

I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most
    blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

• April 29, 2021 at 10:08 am

Hello mates, its great piece of writing on the topic of educationand
    fully defined, keep it up all the time.

• April 29, 2021 at 2:16 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this website is
    loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this
    problem or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the
    problem still exists.

• May 4, 2021 at 1:05 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be
    waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

• May 4, 2021 at 7:35 am

Fantastic post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Many thanks!

• May 7, 2021 at 2:26 pm

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each
    time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks!

• May 8, 2021 at 3:30 am

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog
    loading? I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• May 9, 2021 at 2:11 am

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if
    that would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

• May 15, 2021 at 3:03 pm

scoliosis
    Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone and
    tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so
    she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and she
    has 83 views. I know this is completely
    off topic but I had to share it with someone! scoliosis

• May 16, 2021 at 10:57 am

scoliosis
    Howdy! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old
    room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have
    a good read. Thank you for sharing! scoliosis

• May 20, 2021 at 6:33 pm

free dating sites
    Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or
    if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    dating sites

• May 21, 2021 at 1:48 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my
    blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was
    hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and
    I look forward to your new updates.

• May 26, 2021 at 7:54 am

You could definitely see your skills in the article you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    At all times go after your heart.

• May 26, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I
    just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
    Thanks a ton!

• May 26, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff prior to and you’re just too great. I actually like what you’ve got here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which during which you assert it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to stay it wise. I can not wait to learn far more from you. This is really a terrific site.

• May 29, 2021 at 3:32 pm

I needed to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly
    loved every bit of it. I have got you book marked to
    look at new things you post…

• May 30, 2021 at 2:48 pm

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information.
    I’m happy that you simply shared this useful
    information with us. Please keep us informed like this.

Thanks for sharing.

• May 30, 2021 at 11:34 pm

This paragraph offers clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging,
    that in fact how to do blogging.

• May 31, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Hi there, after reading this awesome paragraph i am also cheerful to share
    my experience here with colleagues.

• June 1, 2021 at 7:34 am

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff previous to and
    you’re simply extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve bought right
    here, really like what you are stating and the way during which you say it.
    You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay
    it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great website.

• June 1, 2021 at 5:03 pm

As the admin of this web page is working, no question very quickly it will be
    well-known, due to its quality contents.

• June 12, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Kênh Trực Tiếp Bóng Đá Ngày Hôm Naythẻ vàng tiviTrên băng ghế giảng dạy, Lebanon đã bửa nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà nắm quân nhân viên Tây Ban Nha công ty yếu thực hiện việc tại Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc tại Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang hóng Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế mang đến trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã cần trải qua 8 phút bù giờ không thở được bảo đảm an toàn thắng lợi.

• June 21, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Coi Thẳng đá Bóngbong da ghTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania trong ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới cho futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội ko ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, quý khách rất có thể sắp xếp việc làm

• June 25, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Coi Thẳng Viettel Vs Tỉnh Bình Dương Trên V League 2021 Ở Kênh Nào? bk8Đội tuyển futsal nước Việt Nam đã có được một trận đấu chấp nhận được trước phe đối lập đầy sức mạnh Lebanon. Kết trái Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu vs Bình Phước thời điểm hôm nay 18h00 ngày 5/5, Hạng nhất nước ta.

• June 27, 2021 at 5:45 am

High 5 Trang Internet Tỷ Lệ Kèo Bóng Đá Tốt Nhất 2021Tỷ Lệ Bóng Đá casino thiên hạThể Thao Chuyến làm khách trên SVĐ Goodison Park của Everton sẽ là thử thách lớn cho Arsenal trong tham vọng cạnh tranh top four của đội bóng này. Gặp rất nhiều khó khăn trước lối chơi phòng ngự của Slovakia nhưng Thụy Điển vẫn giành trọn 3 điểm nhờ bàn thắng trên chấm phạt đền. Chiến thắng này đã giúp đội bóng Bắc Âu mở toang cánh cửa vào vòng 1/8. Hay còn có tên gọi khác chính là kèo 1/2 cửa trên chấp kèo nếu hòa thì thua tất. Cập nhật thông tin lực lượng và đội hình ra sân Slovakia vs Tây Ban Nha thuộc bảng E EURO 2021..

• June 30, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Tin Tức, Sự Khiếu Nại Liên Quan Lại Đến Thẳng đá Bóng Nữ kèo nhà cái.netĐội tuyển chọn nước ta chỉ cần một kết trái hòa có bàn thắng nhằm lần thứ hai góp mặt trên World Cup futsal. Nhưng, để thực hiện được như vậy

• July 3, 2021 at 6:22 pm

I don抰 even know how I stopped up right here, but I thought this publish used to be great. I don’t recognize who you might be however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are not already 😉 Cheers!

• July 7, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for your article. I have constantly observed that a lot of people are needing to lose weight as they wish to look slim along with attractive. Having said that, they do not often realize that there are more benefits for you to losing weight also. Doctors state that over weight people come across a variety of health conditions that can be perfectely attributed to their excess weight. Thankfully that people who are overweight along with suffering from different diseases can help to eliminate the severity of their illnesses by simply losing weight. It is easy to see a progressive but marked improvement in health while even a bit of a amount of weight loss is reached.

• July 13, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Trực Tiếp đá Bóng Thời Điểm Hôm Naycn7m.vnXem đá bóng trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch vạc sóng trực tiếp soccer EURO hôm nay được Webthethao update chính xác nhất.

• July 17, 2021 at 1:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions about credit repair on your blog. Some tips i would offer as advice to people would be to give up the particular mentality they can buy right now and pay back later. Being a society most of us tend to do this for many factors. This includes holidays, furniture, and items we wish. However, you’ll want to separate your own wants out of the needs. While you are working to improve your credit score actually you need some trade-offs. For example you are able to shop online to save cash or you can click on second hand stores instead of high-priced department stores to get clothing.

• July 18, 2021 at 1:46 pm

334928 860841I gotta bookmark this internet site it seems incredibly useful invaluable 426701

• July 23, 2021 at 8:41 am

Nhận Định Soccerbxh nha 2019Nếu là một người nghịch mới mẻ cá độ bóng đá bạn có thể truy cập vào thethao88.com để có những sự trợ giúp từ những thường xuyên gia nhằm mục đích phân tách và dự đoán những kèo thơm và đặt cược nhằm thắng lợi. bongdaso.co thường xuyên trang đá bóng số xem tỷ trọng kèo đá bóng – kết trái đá bóng – lịch tranh tài soccer – tỷ số bóng đá.

• July 26, 2021 at 5:05 am

Giầy Bóng Rổ Giá Rẻ Bền đẹp Nhất, Chi Phí Sốc, Nên Mua Ở Đâutivi htv9Lần thứ nhất ra đôi mắt thì giầy Jordan 1 có màu đỏ, Trắng và đen phối với nhau. Với upper mỏng dính nhẹ nhàng và đế bền rộng cùng cỗ đệm lấy trực tiếp kể từ Crazylight Boost 2016, tạm thời Rose 8 cũng cực kỳ xứng đáng để test.

• July 27, 2021 at 8:45 am

Top 10 Bộ Anime Bóng Rổ Hay Nhấtltd u20 the gioiSlam Dunk kể về mẩu truyện về sự trưởng thành của anh hùng chính Hanamichi Sakuragi cùng đội bóng rổ Shohoku. Đoạn kết mở của cỗ truyện cũng để lại nhiều sự ngóng chờ rất lớn của độc giả đến những giải đấu tiếp sau của chàng “tóc đỏ” Hanamichi Sakuragi. “Generation of Miracles”, thương hiệu của ĐộI bóng rổ trường Sơ Trung Teikou từng đoạt chức vô địch toàn quốc 3 năm liền.

• July 27, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Cách đọc Kèo Bóng Đá, Hướng Dẫn Coi Kèo Soccer Dễ Dàng Hiểu Nhấttrực tiếp chelsea vs burnleyNếu là một trong người nghịch mới nhất cá độ soccer quý khách hoàn toàn có thể truy cập vào thethao88.com nhằm có những sự trợ góp từ những chuyên gia nhằm phân tách và dự đoán những kèo thơm và đặt cược để thắng lợi. bongdaso.co chuyên trang đá bóng số coi tỷ lệ kèo đá bóng – kết quả bóng đá – lịch tranh tài soccer – tỷ số bóng đá.

• August 4, 2021 at 10:05 am

Lựa Chọn Giày Bóng Rổtin tuc u23Lần thứ nhất ra mắt thì giầy Jordan 1 có màu sắc đỏ, trắng và đen phối với nhau. Với upper mỏng nhẹ nhõm và đế bền rộng cùng cỗ đệm lấy trực tiếp kể từ Crazylight Boost năm nhâm thìn, tạm thời Rose 8 cũng vô cùng đáng nhằm test.

• August 24, 2021 at 1:01 am

Thanks for your post. I would also like to remark that the first thing you will need to conduct is verify if you really need credit repair. To do that you simply must get your hands on a copy of your credit score. That should really not be difficult, since government mandates that you are allowed to have one free of charge copy of the credit report each year. You just have to consult the right men and women. You can either look at website owned by the Federal Trade Commission or perhaps contact one of the leading credit agencies instantly.

• August 24, 2021 at 8:47 pm

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks a lot!

• September 5, 2021 at 5:18 am

I have observed that over the course of creating a relationship with real estate proprietors, you’ll be able to come to understand that, in every real estate exchange, a payment is paid. Finally, FSBO sellers never “save” the percentage. Rather, they struggle to win the commission by doing a strong agent’s occupation. In doing so, they expend their money as well as time to accomplish, as best they’re able to, the obligations of an realtor. Those assignments include uncovering the home via marketing, delivering the home to all buyers, building a sense of buyer desperation in order to trigger an offer, booking home inspections, managing qualification assessments with the loan provider, supervising maintenance tasks, and facilitating the closing.

• September 20, 2021 at 5:55 am

Tôi chắc chắn đồng ý với ý kiến của bạn