All relevant authorities should ensure that every humanitarian workers held captive in North-East Nigeria should be released, the international NGO community said on Saturday.
The latest call followed the publicized killing of four male aid workers by terrorist group, Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) on Friday.
A statement by Nigeria International Non Governmental Organisations (INGO) Forum, said they stand in solidarity with their colleagues of Action Against Hunger (AAH-ACF).
The statement further read: “We are deeply saddened and condemn the recent killing of four humanitarian workers, previously abducted along the Maiduguri-Damasak road on 18 July 2019.
” We are calling on all relevant stakeholders to ensure that Grace Taku, the last AAH-ACF staff remaining in captivity and all other humanitarians currently held, are immediately released.”
The statement lamented that: “Over ten years of conflict has deeply affected the population in North-east Nigeria. Today more than seven million people are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
” At least 20 aid workers have been killed in North-east Nigeria since the beginning of the large-scale humanitarian response in 2016.
Attacks against humanitarian aid workers cut off the population from much needed life-saving
It stressed that:” All parties to the armed conflict must respect their safe and unhindered access to all the people in need of assistance. Aid workers are not a target.”
” Our thoughts and condolences are with their families, friends and colleagues,” the statement said.