CACOL Backs Senate’s Resolve To Empower Auditor-General To Fight Corruption

By Benjamin Omoike

The Centre for Anti-Corruption and Open Leadership, CACOL, has thrown its weight behind the Nigerian Senate in its bid to block the existing loopholes in audit law and invariably improve in its fight against corruption.

In a statement issued by CACOL and signed by Adegboyega Otunuga, the anti-corruption organization’s Coordinator, Media and Publications on behalf of its Executive Chairman, Mr. Debo Adeniran, he stated, “We received the news of the Leadership of the 9th Senate of the Nigerian legislature to the effect that they are now determined and genuinely committed to advancing necessary legal muscle that would allow the Auditor-General of the Federation to effect submission of  the audited accounts of the governmental ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) for clinical perusal and necessary scrutiny.

“This is no doubt, in line with our previous calls for the audit law and other useful legislation that are already begging for speedy consideration and passage in the National Assembly for ages to be accorded due attention so that the fight against official corruption could become a thing of the past in the country.

“In line with the revelation of the Vice Chairman of Senate Public Accounts Committee, Senator Ibrahim Hadejia, on how most of the MDAs flagrantly disregard the directives of the National Assembly and the country’s Auditor-General (Aud.GF) on submission of same audited accounts for necessary vetting and scrutiny because there is a lacuna in our Constitution that has made it expedient for them to tactically evade such order with no fear of backlash or any sanction whatsoever for such impunity. “This trend is not peculiar to the MDAs only, as the both the 1999 Nigerian Constitution (as amended) and other existing financial laws are either inadequate or contradictory in addressing modern challenges posed by corruption in the country.

“Since the advent of this democratic dispensation, we have seen instances where some Nigerians that worked for so many years abroad, even in government circle, etc., and adjudged unblemished and impeccable only for them to come home and be given official appointment only to suddenly become very corrupt.

“The reason for this inconsistency is not far-fetched as deliberate loopholes exist in our statutes and other regulatory enactments that make corruption attractive and tempting since most of our approach against corruption is aimed at apprehending after the crime/s rather than aiming at prevention as it is being done in saner and more advanced climes.

“The irony of all this could also be seen even in the way and manner institutions that were set up to fight corruption or deal with official recklessness or constitutional breaches have been deliberately emasculated or hindered in the discharge of their statutory duties; either the office of the Auditor-General, the Anti-corruption agencies and even the Judiciary as the last course of resort. As at today in the country, the Legislative and Executive arms reserve the discretion of fixing their salary and other emoluments, including appropriation on their own budgets, whereas, the Judiciary that should be most independent of control to enable it discharge its institutional and moral obligations is deliberately emasculated. With the advancement in technology today, most of the looting or financial manipulations would be effectively prevented and detected ab initio if we focused more on prevention and greater accountability and independence of organs saddled with oversight and embrace e-governance as a matter of urgency.”

The CACOL Boss further enthused, “As at last count, over USD250bn (Two Hundred and Fifty Billion Dollars) is being syphoned from various countries in Africa yearly, while a large chunk of this is looted from public treasury in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, both the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and ICPC (Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission) agreed with Transparency International (TI) estimation that about 25 percent of Nigeria’s overall GDP (Gross Domestic Product) yearly, are lost to grand larceny. The solution lies in strengthening laws and institutions that could aid in changing this terrible narrative while we make technological advancement the cornerstone of our anti-corruption agenda.” The statement said.

26 thoughts on “CACOL Backs Senate’s Resolve To Empower Auditor-General To Fight Corruption

• April 29, 2021 at 3:24 pm

846693 389228Employing writers exercises such as chunking. They use many websites that contain several creative writing exercises. Writers read an exercise, and do it. 24108

• May 3, 2021 at 5:22 pm

218386 155970These kinds of Search marketing boxes normally realistic, healthy and balanced as a result receive just about every customer service necessary for some product. Link Building Services 628138

• May 17, 2021 at 2:01 pm

508697 371406I enjoy reading write-up. Hope i can locate far more articles like this one. Thanks for posting. 83227

• June 4, 2021 at 8:03 pm

299049 867653Deference to web site author , some wonderful entropy. 576121

• July 18, 2021 at 2:41 am

251516 184499Hi, Neat post. Theres a issue along along with your website in web explorer, could test this IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a great portion of men and women will omit your exceptional writing because of this problem. 710769

• August 28, 2021 at 2:20 pm

I believe everything said was very logical. However, what about this?
    suppose you wrote a catchier title? I ain’t saying your content is
    not solid, but suppose you added something to possibly grab people’s attention? I mean CACOL Backs Senate’s Resolve To Empower Auditor-General
    To Fight Corruption – Newsnowonline is kinda vanilla.
    You should glance at Yahoo’s front page and note
    how they create news headlines to grab viewers to
    click. You might add a video or a pic or two to get readers excited about what you’ve written. Just my opinion, it might
    bring your posts a little livelier.

• August 30, 2021 at 8:15 pm

klik66 ialah salah satu web peremainan pkv games yang sudah sangat terpercaya ԁan telah
    mendapatkan anjuran ddari dewalink.
    dewalink juga salah satu situs saran permainan pkv games yang benar-benar terpercaya ⅾan web
    ini juga menawarkan rekomendasi dari web ppkv ԁann situs agen taruhan bola seperti klik365 yanmg memiliki bonus yang benar-benar besar
    semuanya telah mempunyai bonus Ԁɑn pun jackpot
    hingga ratusan juta rupiah.

• August 31, 2021 at 9:50 pm

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right
    here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.

nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the
    following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

• September 1, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I will right away take hold of your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription hyperlink
    or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me recognise so that I could subscribe.

Thanks.

• September 2, 2021 at 2:52 am

Hello, i feel that i noticed you visited my weblog so i came to go back the choose?.I am trying to in finding issues to enhance my website!I assume its good
    enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

• September 4, 2021 at 4:49 am

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this submit used to be good.
    I do not realize who you’re however definitely you are going to a famous blogger
    if you aren’t already. Cheers!

• September 5, 2021 at 7:10 am

My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This submit truly made my day. You cann’t consider
    just how a lot time I had spent for this info!
    Thank you!

• September 11, 2021 at 5:16 am

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your
    site and in accession capital to claim that I get actually enjoyed
    account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your
    feeds or even I fulfillment you get entry to consistently quickly.
    cheap flights http://1704milesapart.tumblr.com/ cheap flights

• September 12, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and
    I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back
    and help others like you aided me. ps4 games https://j.mp/3nkdKIi ps4

• October 25, 2021 at 4:28 pm

I do consider all the ideas you have presented
    to your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work.
    Still, the posts are very brief for novices. May you please lengthen them
    a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

• October 26, 2021 at 1:23 pm

I used to be suggested this website by my cousin. I’m no longer positive whether or not
    this put up is written by way of him as no one else realize
    such distinctive about my problem. You’re amazing!

Thank you!

• November 15, 2021 at 6:31 pm

147241 508982Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects? Many thanks! 863479