It’s official,Angelique Kidjo Wins Coveted Grammy

….dedicates award to Burna Boy

Legendary French-Beninois singer and songwriter, Angelique Kidjo, has emerged winner of the Best World Album category at the Grammy Awards, beating Nigeria’s Afrofusion singer, Burna Boy.

Her album, ‘Celia’, was nominated alongside Burna Boy’s ‘African Giant’. Others in the category included Altin Gun for “Gece”, Bokante & Metropole Orkest conducted by Jule Buckely, “What Heat”, Nathalie Joachim with Spektral Quartet and “Fanm d’Azur.

Described by Time Magazine as “Africa’s premier diva”, Kidjo is famous for her diverse musical influences and creative music videos. It’s her fourth Grammy award.

At the award ceremony in Los Angeles last night, Kidjo, who starred in Kunle Afolayan’s CEO movie in 2014, dedicated her award to Burna Boy in a short acceptance speech, which affirmed that a fresh revolution had started for African music and is being led by the younger generation of talented artistes.

However, with his nomination, Burna Boy has joined a host of other Nigerians like Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti and King Sunny Ade, who had been previously nominated in the same category at the Grammy Awards.

Other Nigerian previous nominees include Babatunde Olatunji, Wizkid, Timaya and Kah Lo. However, Sikiru Adepoju won the Grammy in 1991 & 2009 and remains the only Nigerian to have done so.

Here is a list of winners in some of the awards categories. The complete list of more than 80 categories can be found on grammy.com

Record of the Year – ‘Bad Guy’ Billie Eilish

Best Pop Vocal Album – ‘When We All Fall Asleep

Where Do We Go’ Billie Eilish

Best Spoken Word Album – ‘Becoming’ Mitchell Obama

Best World Music Album – ‘Celia’ Angelique Kidjo

14 thoughts on “It’s official,Angelique Kidjo Wins Coveted Grammy

• April 6, 2021 at 1:36 am

Trulife Distribution – Nutrition Distribution helps our clients achieve success in a complex, competitive retail environment. Our team of nutrition industry experts takes care of everything from importation compliance to marketing, sales and distribution at the ground level. There is no need to navigate the complicated intricacies of the American market when we have already done the work. Let us use our experience to expand your brand and put your product into the hands of American consumers. https://trulifedist.com/

• April 27, 2021 at 12:00 am

Does anyone know what happened to Dime Piece LA celebrity streetwear brand? I seem to be unable to check out on Dimepiecela site. I’ve read in Women’s Health Mag that they were bought out by a UK hedge fund in excess of $50m. I’ve just bought the Nostalgia Luggage Tag from Ebay and totally love it xox

• April 29, 2021 at 8:02 am

What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this site
    are actually awesome for people experience, well, keep up
    the good work fellows.

• April 29, 2021 at 8:18 am

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the good spirit.

• April 29, 2021 at 12:26 pm

At this time I am going to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

• May 4, 2021 at 2:51 am

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each
    time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Many thanks!

• May 4, 2021 at 8:55 am

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely
    enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and definitely
    will come back sometime soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have
    a nice holiday weekend!

• May 7, 2021 at 2:38 pm

I pay a quick visit day-to-day a few sites and websites
    to read posts, however this webpage presents feature based content.

• May 8, 2021 at 2:09 am

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of afterward its up to other users that they will help, so here it
    happens.

• May 9, 2021 at 8:01 am

I used to be recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether or not this
    put up is written through him as nobody else
    know such targeted approximately my difficulty.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!