The Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), has warned the two chambers of the National Assembly “to immediately suspend the bill seeking to extend constitutional immunity to cover presiding officers of legislative institutions” after it scaled second reading in the House of Representatives.

The bill which was sponsored by Hon. Odebunmi Olusegun was supported by some lawmakers who say it is important to safeguard the sanctity of the National Assembly.

However, the CNPP in a statement issued in Abuja by its Secretary General, Chief Willy Ezugwu warned that “in the event that the Bill was not stood down, a coalition of civil society groups and ordinary Nigerians who are at the receiving end of the current hardship and insecurity in the land will be mobilised to occupy the National Assembly throughout the public hearing to register the displeasure of the citizens over the Bill.”

“We urge President Muhammadu Buhari not to assent to such insensitive and selfish bill if it was forcefully passed into law by the legislature as the bill shows how indifferent the lawmakers are to the plight of the ordinary citizens. It proves that the legislators are too selfish to understand what should be the priority of the country at a trying time like this.

“Having carefully studied the circumstances surrounding the introduction of the immunity bill by the legislators, we fully align with the House Minority Leader, Hon. Ndudi Elumelu who asked the lawmakers to place the interest of their constituents above personal interest.

“How can the lawmakers be more interested in protecting its principal officers from prosecution at a time Nigerians are dying in dozens in the hands of bandits and terrorists?

“The country should at this time be thinking of altering the constitution to remove immunity clauses for the president and vice president as well as that of the governors and their deputies.

“It is absurd for the lawmaker to be thinking of protecting themselves and indirectly providing cover for corrupt governors and other politicians who find their way into the national assembly immediately their tenure end.

“If the bill eventually becomes law, it will ultimately alter the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and expand cover for treasury looters in the country”, the CNPP stated.

11 thoughts on “Proposed Immunity Bill:CNPP Declares War on National Assembly …We’ ll Occupy NASS If You Go Ahead With The Obnoxious Bill

• May 19, 2021 at 5:36 pm

129071 985489Hi, ich habe Ihre Webseite bei der Suche nach Fernbus Hamburg im Internet gefunden. Schauen Sie doch mal auf meiner Seite vorbei, ich habe dort viele Testberichte zu den aktuellen Windeleimern geschrieben. 671988

• May 30, 2021 at 3:59 pm

333601 651763I just could not go away your internet site before suggesting that I very enjoyed the usual information a person supply to your guests? Is going to be back ceaselessly to be able to inspect new posts. 904344

• July 16, 2021 at 7:59 am

763057 485492There is an ending. Just remember that I meant for this to be an art game. I do feel like I spent an inordinate amount of time on the more traditional gameplay elements, which could make the meaning with the game a bit unclear. If you mess around with it though, you will find it. 499254

• September 3, 2021 at 9:10 am

If you are going for finest contents like myself, simply visit this website every day as it offers feature contents, thanks

• September 13, 2021 at 12:43 pm

It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I may I desire to
    counsel you few fascinating things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you could write subsequent articles referring to this article.
    I wish to learn even more issues approximately it!
    ps4 games https://tinyurl.com/45xtc52b ps4 games

• September 13, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into
    starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get set up?

I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any
    tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos scoliosis surgery https://coub.com/stories/962966-scoliosis-surgery scoliosis surgery

• September 27, 2021 at 3:11 pm

199868 268927Its truly a good and valuable piece of information. Im glad which you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing. 515658

• October 25, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Hey there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good
    platform.

• October 26, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all vital infos.
    I would like to look extra posts like this .