Government To Use Sports To Fight Trauma In IDPs

By Bukar Bolori

Sports has been identified as important tool for keeping internally displaced persons (IDPs) engaged and healing them of trauma.

Speaking at the weekend during the closing ceremony of the inaugural sports festival organized by the African Missions Global for internally displaced persons camps in Maiduguri, Dr. Sesan Akinnawo, the Northeast coordinator of the organizers, asked government to employ the avenue of sports in occupying the minds and strength of the youths living in the camps.

He said the Borno State Government particularly should continue to engage IDPs living in the state in sports and other vocational activities that would help them forget their worries.

Akinnawo said it is imperative to keep the minds and bodies of IDPs, whose majority have been traumatized by their experiences from Boko Haram, occupied with sports.

He noted that this would go a long way in healing the wounds and keep them in proper shape.

He lamented that most of the IDPs have been traumatized by a decade long insurgency causing many to be displaced from their ancestoral homes, and their condition has not been made better since they spend the whole day doing nothing while in the camp.

He decried that this has not assisted them to heal from their traumatic experiences, urging governments to take sports to the camps.

He said African Missions Global saw that apart from making relief materials available for the IDPs, there was the need to preoccupy them with activities that we make them to be lively and forget their past in order for them to heal of trauma.

He said this will also mitigate against youth restiveness and other social vices amongst the IDPs.

The Coordinator said: “We must continue to have faith in the youths and that is why we engaged them and organized the Sports Festival.

He added that: “The IDPs needs to be cared for as they are worst hit by insurgency. We in African Missions Global would continue in this direction to ensure that the IDPs are given a sense of belonging.”

Akinnawo said: “I will urge the state government to continue to intensify efforts to take the IDPs back to their places of abode.”

He promised that the Sports Festival will continue to be organized by AMG annually, even as more camps in the state would be allowed to participate.

The competition was organized among eight camps in Maiduguri including Teacher’s Village, NYSC, CAN Centre, Dalori, Gubio, LCC Shuwari and Stadium.

Events competed for include football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis and athletics, among others.

16 thoughts on “Government To Use Sports To Fight Trauma In IDPs

• March 29, 2021 at 4:45 pm

96454 529778This web web site is my inspiration , truly excellent layout and perfect topic matter. 860472

• April 14, 2021 at 8:26 am

334871 330286I take wonderful pleasure in reading articles with quality content material. This post is 1 such writing that I can appreciate. Keep up the excellent function. 139839

• April 29, 2021 at 1:10 am

939857 436163Have read a couple of of the articles on your web site now, and I genuinely like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog internet site list and will probably be checking back soon. 808676

• May 31, 2021 at 10:27 pm

962494 27011thaibaccarat dot com could be the greatest website to study casino games : like baccarat, poker, blackjack and roulette casino 33527

• June 25, 2021 at 6:43 am

714887 139577I wanted to say Appreciate providing these details, youre doing a great job with the web site… 866115

• August 5, 2021 at 11:37 pm

139346 336128Wohh exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it for posting . 704067

• August 30, 2021 at 4:34 am

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is
    time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I
    wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!

• August 31, 2021 at 9:02 am

This paragraph is truly a good one it helps new the web visitors, who are wishing in favor of blogging.

• September 2, 2021 at 1:14 am

I think what you published was actually very reasonable.
    But, think about this, suppose you were to create
    a killer headline? I ain’t suggesting your content
    is not good., but what if you added something to possibly grab
    people’s attention? I mean Government To Use Sports To Fight Trauma In IDPs – Newsnowonline
    is kinda vanilla. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s front page and
    watch how they create post titles to get people to click.
    You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get
    readers excited about everything’ve written. Just my opinion, it could make your
    blog a little bit more interesting.

• September 4, 2021 at 4:53 pm

This excellent website really has all of the information I
    wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

• September 11, 2021 at 10:29 am

It’s going to be end of mine day, however before ending I am
    reading this impressive piece of writing to increase my knowledge.
    scoliosis surgery https://0401mm.tumblr.com/ scoliosis surgery

• September 12, 2021 at 3:32 pm

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this
    I’ve found It positively useful and it has aided me out
    loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help
    different customers like its aided me. Great job.

• September 14, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Tremendous things here. I’m very happy to look your post.

Thanks a lot and I’m having a look forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail? ps4 games https://j.mp/3z5HwTp ps4 games