UNILAG Crisis: EFCC Asked To Probe Ogundipe

Prof Toyin Ogundipe

By Benjamin Omoike

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has been asked to probe the sacked Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, UNILAG, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogun­dipe, over alleged looting and misappropriation of funds.

In a letter to the Commis­sion, dated  Friday, August 21, the petitioners stated that stakeholders of UNILAG and members of the public, whose taxes were used to run the uni­versity, were interested in the probe of the sacked VC.

The petition signed by Olo­runfemi Adeyeye, on behalf of the Coalition of University of Lagos Student Unionists, read, “We hereby petition the Eco­nomic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to probe the sacked Vice Chancellor of the school, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, over his involvement (as seen in his defence) and in­dictment in several allegations of looting and misappropria­tion of funds, while in office as the vice-chancellor.

“It is already in pub­lic domain, reports of a sub-committee, headed by Dr. Saminu Dagari, a rep­resentative of the Federal Government on the Council of the University of Lagos.

“This Committee was set up after contracted auditors have looked into the account books of the University and have re­portedly found the ‘hands of Esau, but the voice of Jacob.”

“Relying on reports al­ready published by reputable news outfits, like Premium­Times and The Guardian, we find it disturbing that the anti-corruption agency is yet to take up this matter for the sake of national interest and in line with the anti-corrup­tion mantra of the President Buhari-led administration.

“However, as concerned cit­izens and direct victims of the ongoing crisis, we have taken it upon ourselves to reach out; to remind the EFCC of one of its statutory roles which is to keep an eagle eye on the financial running of public institutions by public servants.

“Members of the Council or Senate cannot be left with these serious allegations of financial recklessness as seen in those reports. They are mere rap­porteurs to the extent of their reports and powers.

“In view of the aforemen­tioned, it is pertinent that Nigerians are not kept in the dark as regards the running of public trust such as the University of Lagos. UNILAG is not Bi-Courtney, neither is it a parish of The Redeemed Christian Church of God. Parents, whose children are being forced to sleep in bed-bug infested halls of residence, deserve to know what’s going on.

“Lecturers who sweat in overpopulated classrooms due to absence of functioning public address systems need to know. The non-academ­ic staffers at the university should for no reason be kept in the dark about the financial standing of the university.

“The belief of the interna­tional community in the trans­parency culture of the manage­ment of affairs in the public sector needs to be strengthened,” the letter read.

15 thoughts on “UNILAG Crisis: EFCC Asked To Probe Ogundipe

• May 18, 2021 at 12:26 am

811294 497080What a lovely weblog. Ill definitely be back. Please preserve writing! 94301

• July 5, 2021 at 8:06 am

406658 603034I dont believe Ive seen all of the angles of this subject the way youve pointed them out. Youre a true star, a rock star man. Youve got so significantly to say and know so a lot about the subject that I think you should just teach a class about it 631879

• July 22, 2021 at 9:31 pm

31149 195918I like this web website quite much, Its a really good post to read and get information . 211043

• August 30, 2021 at 4:27 am

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.
    It’s always interesting to read through articles from other
    writers and use a little something from their sites.

• September 1, 2021 at 7:42 pm

If some one needs to be updated with most up-to-date
    technologies then he must be pay a quick visit this
    web site and be up to date daily.

• September 2, 2021 at 2:05 pm

No matter if some one searches for his vital
    thing, therefore he/she needs to be available that in detail, thus that thing is
    maintained over here.

• September 4, 2021 at 5:03 am

768114 505319Dead pent subject matter, thanks for entropy. 278516

• September 4, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with
    hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.

I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good
    platform.

• September 10, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Howdy! I understand this is kind of off-topic however I had to
    ask. Does managing a well-established blog such as yours
    take a massive amount work? I am brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my journal daily.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able
    to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for
    brand new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou! quest bars http://j.mp/3jZgEA2 quest bars

• September 13, 2021 at 8:20 am

Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any tips? Thanks a lot! quest bars https://www.iherb.com/search?kw=quest%20bars quest bars