Lagos To Prosecute 229 Suspected Arsonists
By Benjamin Omoike
Lagos State Government has said it will be prosecuting all suspected hoodlums arrested in connection with the mayhem unleashed on the state between Tuesday and Wednesday last week in the aftermath of the Lekki toll gate shooting by soldiers.
The State Ministry of Justice said on Saturday that the police had arrested 229 suspected hoodlums and their case files were being evaluated preparatory to prosecution on charges of arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties, assault, etc.
A statement by the Director, Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Justice, Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, said the state’s Director of Public Prosecutions, Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, had gone round relevant police formations with her team “to evaluate files of those arrested by the police, with a view to determining those that have prima facie case made against them.”
The statement read in part, “Two hundred and twenty-nine (229) suspects were arrested by the police for various criminal offences, ranging from arson, murder, stealing, malicious damage of properties and assault before and after the state-wide curfew imposed by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to restore law and order.
“After the evaluation exercise those that have cases to answer will be arraigned before the courts on Monday, while the release of those that have no case to answer will be ensured.
“Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo, (SAN), while calling on Lagosians to maintain peace, law and order in their respective communities, pledged the commitment of the state government to uphold the rule of law at all times.”