By Bukar Bolori
Seven members of the Civilian Joint Task Force and local hunters were killed on Sunday in a remote village of Chibok local government area in Northeast Nigeria.
According to a resident of Chibok local government area, who spoke anonymously to our correspondent, the slain men engaged suspected Boko Haram insurgents who came on Sunday morning with the intention of looting Takulashe.
He said the terrorist group stormed Takulashe at about 9am on Sunday, shot onto the air to scare off the villagers, after which they broke into homes to steal foodstuffs and livestock.
He said they were engaged by members of the Civilian Joint Task Force and local hunters who prevented the hoodlums from doing major damages.
He lamented that at the end of the engagement which took over an hour, seven men believe to be Civilian JTF and local hunters have fell.
He however said that the number of casualties from the insurgents could not be ascertained as they went away with their corpses.
A member of the Civilian Joint Task who was involved in the stand-off and evacuation of the casualties, while not identifying those killed in the attack, said the insurgents rained bullets on the village.
He said seven dead bodies have so far been evacuated from the village, but added that the search and rescue operation were ongoing still ongoing as at the time he spoke at about 5pm on Sunday.
He said the insurgents looted and carted away with foodstuff and livestock as the helpless villagers ran into bushes.
He lamented that members of the CJTF and vigilantes engaged the insurgents but were overpowered.
He said “many of my colleagues are still missing after the attacks that lasted for over an hour.”
Attempt to confirm the incident from both police and military authorities were unsuccessful as at the time of filing the report on Sunday evening as the spokesman of both were yet to respond to communication to them.