Ekiti NURTW Boss Attacks Accord Party Candidate, Famuyibo

A member of the Ekiti State chapter of National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, who is the chairman of Osogbo Park of the NURTW in Ado Ekiti and a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Mr Matthew Fagbuaro, on Friday night attacked the gubernatorial candidate of the Accord Party in the forthcoming June 18 Ekiti State governorship election, Basorun Reuben Famuyibo.

This was revealed in a statement signed by Famuyibo’s Special Adviser on Media nad Publicity, Olajide Omojolomoju, and made available to newsmen.

The statement disclosed that Matthew, a resident of Oke-Ila Quarters of Ado Ekiti, arrived Irona Quarter-venue of a meeting of Accord Party leaders and members, with the governorship candidate, accompanied by a gun-totting Mobile Police Force Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP, Bisi, popularly known as Bisi Olopa, in a Pontiac sedan car, and barged into the meeting venue, breaking bottles, banging on tables and shouting, “We don’t want any Accord here, we don’t want any other party here,” “It is only BAO that we want,” with ASP Bisi drawing his rifle on the people in the meeting.

According to Omojolomoju, the governorship candidate escaped the assault by the whiskers.

Basorun Famuyibo expressed sadness at the development, wondering why the situation should degenerate to the level of attacking personalities because of an election.

He said, “I think this is an orchestrated plan by the powers that be in Ekiti to frustrate other contestants in this election, especially my humble self. What happened on Friday has confirmed my suspicion all along; and that was why I had earlier called on the state governor, Kayode Fayemi, not to set Ekiti on fire and not allow a repeat of what happened in old Ondo State in 1983 in Ekiti.

“They started with the defacing and removing of my posters all over Ekiti State and followed it up with the destruction of my bill boards and banners; and now they have gone up a notch by physically attacking me and members of my party.

“Like I said earlier, nobody has the monopoly of violence, but for now, we maintain our peace, but let nobody push us to the wall.”

Famuyibo said that instead of resorting to violence and unnecessary attack on opponents, each candidate in the election should tell Ekiti people what they want to do to better the lot of the people of Ekiti.

He also called on the security agencies to investigate the threat to his life and attack on his person by agents of the APC and bring the culprits to book.

Meanwhile, a formal petition had been despatched to the Inspector General of Police, IGP, through the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police and copied to the Direvtor-General of the Department of State Security, DSS and the Ewi of Ado Ekiti.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: