Nigerian Troops have discovered the wreckage of the missing alpha Jet of the Nigerian Airforce that was missing during an operation in March 2021 in the North East.
PRNigeria had reported that the NAF Alpha-Jet lost contact with radar, while on an interdiction mission in support of ground troops on the evening of March 31, 2021.
NAF Missing Jet Discovered by Ground Troops in Sambisa Forest[/caption]
Posting on its verified facebook page today, the Nigerian Army states that: “Troops of Operation Desert Sanity on clearance patrol in Sambisa Forest, Borno State, have uncovered the wreckage of crashed Alpha Jet aircraft (NAF475) that went off the radar with 2 crew members on 31 March 2021. Further exploitation ongoing.”
It would be exactly one year after the crash. Sources had told PRNigeria that the fighter jet was last seen flying around Goni Kurmiri and Njimia villages after attacking terrorist locations at the Sambisa Axis on Wednesday’s evening.
The mission was part of the counterinsurgency operations in the North East.
“Bad weather could be blamed for the missing jet as hazy weather had been a stumbling block in the military operation. The trained combat pilots have always responded to distress calls and emergency situations in the protection of troops and the citizens from activities of terrorists in the Northeast.
- THE PREVIOUS STORIES ON THE MISSING JET IN 2021
- 24 Hours After, Trace of Missing NAF Fighter Jet Yet to be Found
- NAF Names Missing Pilots as Alpha Jet is Yet to be Found
- Despite Missing Jet, NAF Airstrikes Eliminate ISWAP Leaders, Dozens of Fighters
- Missing NAF Jet: Again, Air Marshal Amao Returns to Maiduguri
- Updates on Missing NAF Jet: Air Chief in Maiduguri on Search and Rescue in North-East
Meanwhile, in continuation with the ongoing clearance operations, the troops have also conducted further exploitation around Ukuba/Camp Zairo in Sambisa Forest and discovered IED making workshops of BokoHaram/ISWAP.